10.07.2007

Fans of music: what the eff?

After mentioning the Slant 6 thing for the Jenna Riot vid, I searched on YouTube for Slant 6 and found this (it's just a Slant 6 record playing, no biggie):



And then threw up in my own mouth a little bit over the fucking masturbatory scenester bullshit in the comments. Is this what we've come to? Am I that old?

I swear to christ, this is why I only read Venus these days when it comes to music (ooh, women write about music? Who knew?). I hate the incessant references to some band's old catalog and ex-members and blahblah meowmeow and the "I knew them way back when/ ZOMG the 7" I had when I was 2 years old" thing.

So, by the same token, I apologize for any "Holy fuck, I met soandso in Portland/Pittsburgh/NYC" or whatever that I've ever done. I try really hard not to do it, but at least when I DO get insane and do it, it's in a crazy star-struck manner.

If I've ever been an indienerdDICK, jesus, I'm so sorry. I hate that shit so fucking much. It makes music so inaccessible, and that is really the last thing I want.

I'm so, so, so insanely pro-anything with a beat that inspires passion. I love music so very much, and I want everyone around me to indulge in what I love, too. And fucking awful sad side to it: it's really easy for me to forget how fucking alienating it is to have the NERD jabbering at you about 6,000 years of music history when you've just mentioned a song that you kinda liked that you heard just that once.

ADHD sidebar: I'm thrilled to have a dude friend who loves the music like I do, if only because of this post at Pandagon. He's the only straight guy indie friend I've ever had who isn't a complete douche to me about my taste in music. Indie Dude and I have had these EPIC conversations about albums that span entire evenings. We once sat on his deck and talked about Rodan's Rusty for 8 hours. Indie Dude spent a giant sum of money a few years ago on a plane ticket to Chicago with the hope that I would be able to get off of work to see Tara Jane O'Neil play when he had time off. When I couldn't go, he practically got himself arrested to take some pictures of her and have her sign a copy of Rusty for me. When I turned 28, he got in touch with Kim Coletta (ex-Jawbox) to ask her if she'd sign something for me because she'd signed my shirt at a Jawbox show on my 18th birthday (she remembered it, by the way).

Indie Dude is so radly, awesomely non-indie dude about music with me that it's worth a mention. I've known him for 15 years (*wince*) and never once in that entire time has he managed to invalidate my interest in indie music. He's never been that guy, never assumed that I like something because of someone else, and has never taken his INCREDIBLY SUPERIOR POSITION (he books bands for a club) to mean that he knows more or cares more about music. Uh, even though he totally does.

Good on you, Indie Dude. Somewhere out there, zillions of indie kids -- especially the girls -- wish they had a friend like you.

And Jenna Riot totally sounds like the singer from Slant 6, but with less talent. Just sayin'.