10.15.2007

With no hands


Sarah Dougher (ex-Lookers, Crabs, Cadallaca) just might be the smartest woman in indie rock. She's got a Ph.D. in Comp Lit and lectures in the Women's Studies program at Portland State when she's not creating lovely, lyrically intense queer neo-folk. Plus: breast cancer survivor. How can you not fucking love her?

The Sample

- "No-Handed" with the prettiest little guitar riff running through all of it

- "What She'd Trade" with, well, this : "You will be glad of what you get/ You don't know me yet/ You don't know how I extract/ You can feel my full impact and/ You don't know how I stripped it clean/ You only know you're what I need"

- "She Stood Up" to kill everything in existence via the most articulate, sensitive lyrics about gender ever, ever, ever: "Your physical geography/ It binds and it divides" and "She'll love you as girlish boy/ Or as a mannish girl/ She'll make you remember who you are"

- "O Chenilla" (Cadallaca): Doogs has lead vocals here. Also, organ! Also, lyrics like, "I've seen you around the mall/ I know you out-slut them all."

The Doogs makes music now as part of Sarah D and the SGs. She's still the same, all folksy and wonderful and intriguing. The Doogs refuses to give in to the queer electro phase. Props!