11.14.2007

Meeting some Queer Mafiosi: a proposal

I am heading to NYC this weekend to meet up with my college BF (I'll call her the Italian Stallion because: really. Really.), and she sent me this great anticipatory text that read:

Please say yr coming! I could really use a good butch bonding session over about 87 cold beers

And I had to kind of pause for a sec, since Italian Stallion has this amazing (and huge!) circle of queer friends in her city. How weird is it that none of them are butch identified? Then it occurred to me that maybe this wasn't so strange: I've been poking around D.C. for butch friends forever and nothing doing.

Which brings me to this: where are all of you hiding? I mean, not just the butches, but the femmes, the genderqueers, the everyones? More importantly, why the fuck aren't we hanging out, like, all of the time?

I have this theory about D.C.: it's the transitional city of doom. People roll into this area for grad school and move away the second that they're done. People come here for the job of their dreams and then discover that Assistant Director of Communications at that rad nonprofit actually meant that they were the administrative assistant, because D.C. is the king of inflated job titles. And then they move away. People come here for contract jobs, the military, assorted government whatnot ... and then they move away.

I have an dominant set of straight friends who are fantastic. I have Tres Bien and The Wifey who are rad queer kids and kick-ass in the friend department. BUT: I miss having the full circle of queer friends that I had when I moved here (they all bounced after grad school. Are you sensing a theme?).

So, a proposal: let's get a Queer Mafia together. If you just moved to the D.C. metro region, and you miss your friends from the city that you left for grad school/cool job/undergrad work, hit us up. If you've lived here for a while, and your queer friends have bounced for SF/NYC/whatevercitythat'scooler, hit us up. Hell, hit us up anyway, just for kicks.

Our email address is sitting down there in the footer, but if you're too lazy to scroll:

trestresfast at gmail dot com

Easy, right? Send the mail, we'll gauge the interest (yo, I see y'all visiting the site from the area when I check the server logs) , and we'll try to get something together for all of the stray 'mos here in the DMV.

And, just to clarify, I realize that there are umpteen GLBT meet and greet type things that go on every single day here. Unfortunately, when you work in the industry that Tres Bien and I work in, you can't quite make Wednesday happy hour stuff. Weekends though? For the WIN.

Queer Mafia, you guys. Let's make it happen.