2.27.2008

Tells me so

Feministing included this in their Weekly Feminist Reader, but I wanted to post about it on LWM. Pajiba blogger Dustin Rowles writes about the documentary, "The Bible Tells Me So," and how it portrays the religious "right" and its take on homosexuality:

"The Bible Tells Me So, an enlightening, hard-to-watch documentary [is] about how the religious right has used the Bible to screw over the gay community. The documentary focuses primarily on the stories of five families who have dealt with children coming out of the closet, most notably the stories of Chrissy Gephardt (Dick’s lesbian daughter) and Gene Robinson, the first gay bishop in America. I can’t do justice to how inspiring their stories are, particularly in contrast to what the rest of the movie explores: the obstacles of hate that James Dobson and the rest of those religio-wackjobs have erected in their paths."

I grew up memorizing the Bible verses in Leviticus that are so often used to, and knew first-hand how tolerant -- or intolerant -- people could be. And the point of the documentary is to show the why some religious people believe the way they believe.

It's times like these where I wish I could make people switch spots, just for a day or two, long enough to see how reactions and actions affect them. MAN, I've been surly the last few weeks.