6.07.2008

R.I.P. Clinton campaign

As I write this, Hillary Clinton is in the District at the National Building Museum allegedly conceding. I write 'allegedly' because in my own mind I don't want to remember her as finishing but rather holding her head high and taking some much-needed rest. I'm reading MSNBC's "Clinton's couldas, shouldas, wouldas" and trying not to let the campaign's mistakes resonate too much. In short, I'm bummed. I was behind Clinton before she announced her presidential bid and stood behind her through all the "couldas, shouldas, wouldas." This is the first time I've had strong beliefs about a candidate and felt this strongly about politics. But, this feeling comes for most who are invested in a candidate, some just sooner than others.

In any event, I admit that Clinton made mistakes along the way, and I cannot imagine having your life so closely documented from the get-go. At the end of the MSNBC story, her mistakes are clear. And I wonder if it was a stubbornness or internal mistakes that had all those issues impede her candidacy, but I regardless of what anyone says, she did make history by coming as far as she did and she did indeed pave the way for others. And for that, I'm proud of her. It does little, however, to win the consolation prize for such a demanding race to the finish line. For what it's worth, Hill, I'll miss seeing you on CNN every day. Don't disappear, OK?

As far as Barack Obama is concerned, he'll get my vote, but not because I like the guy. Because the thought of John McCain winning the White House scares the absolute shit out of me. And as much as I wanted to see a woman take over the W.H., almost any minority is better than another old balls, white dude. Add a horrible temper and a propensity to call his wife a c*** and you've got the recipe for disaster. And thousands will vote for him.

R.I.P. Clinton campaign.