7.04.2008

A bit about language

Over at Queerty.com, there's quite a buzz about about "Hancock." Will Smith plays the title character and says some shitty remarks to Jason Bateman's character (Hancock's PR guy) to which get GLAAD's attention:

"[Bateman's character] shows Hancock three comic book images in an effort to inspire him. But Hancock rejects the traditional image of costumed superheroes as he responds to each one: 'Homo. Homo in red. Norwegian homo.' "

Now I wasn't planning on seeing "Hancock." At best, The Wifey and I were planning on Netflixin' it in a few months because Smith movies are usually decent. But now, I'm left with a frustrated feeling about the entire project, as well as Smith.

After reading the comments in Queerty's post, I have to say that I agree with GLAAD calling everyone out on this. We simply should use other words. Use. Other. Words. When people say the "R" word (re....tard...ed) I always shoot a don't-say-that-again-please, most often without the please, because I cannot grasp that this word is still used negatively. I understand that it's a popular word, more than "that's so gay," however, I would hope that we as an evolving nation could come up with another word to explain a situation. I have a bro who works with special needs kids and I take it extremely to heart when I hear the word. He's the sort of hero I'd rather know about anyway, not some shitty overpaid actor.

But getting back to comments left on the Queerty post, people say that because the actor was just reading the script, we shouldn't be upset at Smith. On that, I strongly disagree. I'm positive that if Smith spoke up, or Bateman spoke up, to take the line out or to have someone respond to it, they would have made that happen. Smith would look like a hero for standing up and saying something and possibly nix some gay-or-Scientologist rumors floating around him. In any event, GLAAD would be offering him a hand shake or E-card or something, instead of breathing down his neck and having him take full responsibility.

In any event, I'm left with an awful taste in my mouth over the whole thing and I think watching "Queer as Folk" will help with that. Definitely.