11.30.2007

Honesty is the best policy

You know ... sometimes I don't get stuff.

Tonight's Stuff I Don't Get edition comes in the form of the words of some random D.C.-area DJ that I heard while I was out for coffee during work. I had coffee in hand, I was driving back to the office and listening to the radio. I flipped the station at a red light and was treated to a DJ lamenting some of the recent reports of the insanely high HIV infection rates in D.C.

Let me say that I have no idea which station I was on. I heard about 90 seconds of the banter and had to shut my radio off because I was suffering from a rad case of Crazy Rage. Here's what I learned:

- HIV infection rates are high in D.C. because of men who are on the DL.
- HIV can be prevented with honesty.
- If the DJ were to ever engage in a same-sex relationship, she would totally prevent any sort of STD through this policy of honesty.

Do I have to say this next part? She went on a pretty serious But You Guys I'm So Not Queer I Am Wicked Heterosexual tangent to cover up the stupid thing she'd already said.

I don't know. I'm many years removed from my role as undergraduate safer sex advocate, but I naively assumed that we were in a place where straight folks had stopped blaming gay men for HIV/AIDS. I also assumed that we were also in some sort of mystical, enlightened phase where, "Oh, but I trust them!" was actually considered a little wrong-headed.

Honesty: it's just like latex and bloodwork!