11.29.2007

I didn't know it was a race, but you know where I'm shopping

The Human Rights Campaign has a "Buying for Equality" shopping list -- so you can be a good queer shopper and put your money where your, er, mouth is. (Somehow that just doesn't sound right there.)
Apparently, Wal-Mart didn't rank so hot this year (they fell from the yellow zone to the red zone, which reminds me I need to buy more antiperspirant). The Washington Blade has a scintillating read about where exactly Wal-Mart stands and this paragraph mentions the aforementioned "race:"

"Donald Wildmon, founder and chair of American Family Association, sent an action alert to his supporters soon after the shopping guide was published. Its main subject: Wal-Mart.

The group is encouraging its members to stage a “buycott” at Wal-Mart in opposition to HRC’s findings. Wildmon predicts if conservatives support Wal-Mart this holiday shopping season while gays go to Target, observers should “look at Wal-Mart’s sales at the end of December to see who won.' "

"While the gays go to Target." I love, love, love me some Target and -- side note -- Target has a score of 80 (green zone) and Kmart has a score of 100. To which I reply: What? There still are Kmarts?