11.05.2007

Scaring Seven Sisters girls for the win


I told Tres Bien I was planning on posting something angry for this week's queer music mix (and I guess they're not really mixes -- I hadn't thought about that until now. But whatever, right?), and I kind of debated for a while about that. I have some really sweet, gentle music that I'm eager to post, but a promise is a promise, yeah?

This week: The Haggard! An I'm-so-old story: I saw The Haggard play at a really fancy Northeastern Women's College when I was still in school (not at the fancy Northeastern Women's College). The building where they were playing was a shortcut for students who were walking through campus and, at one point, some very delicate looking girls paused near the crowd during a song. They were kind of looking at the stage at these two insane, screaming queer kids and also glancing fearfully at the crowd of (probably really fucked up) crusty punk queers. When the song ended, they effing bolted along the edge of the room to the door that led to the other side of campus. And they never even so much as glanced back.

I'd write more about them, or do my usual why-I-picked-this-song thing for The Haggard, but I don't really know much about them other than that they are a 2-person hardcore/queercore/homocore band. Emily and STS (of The Lookers, Cadallaca, and probably a thousand other bands) have recorded on the now defunct Mr. Lady and with Heartcore Records. All of the googling and attempts to find more links/info has turned up a whole lot of dead links and not too much more.

It's a little sad and humbling to me, I think. There were a couple more angry homocore bands that I had been thinking about posting for this week's mix, but I seriously couldn't find anything online about them. It's shocking to me that bands that made a huge impression on me and my friends have sort of melted into history.

Enough of that!

The tracks:

- "P.E. Teacher" - from "A Bike City Called Greasy"

and three tracks from "No Future":

- "Wouldn't Wanna Be Your Girl"
- "Sundays In Oregon"
- "The Haggard For President"

Enjoy!

Not so fast? Apparently, SpotDJ is flaking out on me. I spent a bit of time making the mix, and then it wouldn't play in browser. I'm trying to fix it now, but uploads are taking FOREVER. The end of the best app ever?

Suck it, SpotDJ, I thwarted your evil plan! Enjoy, this time for reals!