11.21.2007

Transdude for gay mag coverboy?

Citizen Crain has a post up right now about the inclusion of a transguy in Metroweekly's Coverboy of the Year contest. I grok a lot of what he's saying, although I'm not so sure about this:

Lesbian journalist Jennifer Vanasco has written about how the popularity of gender-bending among young lesbians has all but eliminated femmes from the under-30 crowd.

“Young women who once called themselves butch now call themselves tranny bois, and these tranny bois are mostly dating each other” Vanasco, a self-identified femme, wrote in a provocative column from a couple of years ago.


All but eliminated what now? My experience lately has been the exact opposite: millions of femmes, relatively few butches/transdudes. I have to say that I was thinking this might be an issue that was was isolated to D.C., but my recent trip to NYC had me thinking differently. I was at a queer bar in Brooklyn with some friends, and we were getting ready to go. I made the briefest of brief nanosecond of eye contact with a cute femme who then rolled up on me, put her arms around me and whispered, "God, I miss guys like you ... " in my ear.

If that had been the only example (woo! I'm a guy now!), I wouldn't have thought much of it. But my whole weekend was filled with winking, flirting and all-around personal space invasions by every femme girl within 10 yards. I'd complain, but damn: it was the best thing that's happened to me in months. I thought of moving to NYC the whole damnable train ride home.

At any rate, it's a great read with a bonus flame war going on in the comments!