12.14.2007

Justice League

Feministing has an awesome post written by Sara Kelley, who's an intern at NOW-NYC and also working on completing her bachelor's degree in sociology and peace and justice studies. I don't know what exactly justice studies are, but it sounds heroic. (Perhaps tentimesfast will educate me on what those entail, she did take all the cool 'mo courses in college. HOLLA!)

Anyway. She writes a fierce essay on how important it is to be socially aware and know what's going on around the world, or at least in your own state, in regards to LGBTQQ issues and tells her coming out story (albeit it scary and anger-inducing) to boot.

A gem from her:

"Too often, ignorance leads to intolerance, and offensive attitudes can be shrugged off by those who claim, “they didn’t know.” My school knows that gay marriage is still illegal. I want my school and other institutions like it to know what heterosexist means, to recognize the effects of the community’s attitudes towards LGBTQQ students like me, and to be aware of the various issues we face. We’ve got to move past ignorance into knowledge, and hopefully, then, we can arrive at tolerance."