9.05.2008

'Heteroflexible'

When I heard Katy Perry's song "I Kissed a Girl" for the first time, I groaned. Loudly. For starters, I'm not a fan of the sound of it. It grates on my nerves even without adding in the vocals. I don't find it catchy and I'm annoyed when it comes on the radio. And it gets changed. Every time.

The words anger me even more. Maybe I'm just being a bitchy queer but I grow weary of posers, those girls who love to get wiggedy wasted and share a kiss or two with their best gal pal at a bar or party to the delight of the crowd. Disclaimer: Now, I too used to kiss one of my best friends at parties because it was fun and people dug it. I wasn't in love with her, and didn't want it to be anything more than a kiss, but looking back, I probably should have asked myself a few questions about my own sexuality and maybe I would have gotten to this point in my life earlier. Moving on.

The Wifey sent me this article last week from Minneapolis Star Tribune on "heteroflexibility." It's written by Katherine Kerstein who writes about the growing trend of young girls kissing their friends because it's exciting, their boyfriends like it and for a brief few moments, they're the center of attention. Sigh. Kerstein cites the Girls Gone Wild franchise for pushing the "trend" forward along with a few other publications (thanks Marie Claire for calling bisexuality "the erotic new trend"). More sighing. Thing is, bisexuality and whatever the fuck this "trend" is are completely different in my eyes. Kissing your friend for attention is sad, and I did it! Knowing you are truly bisexual is beautiful. There's a difference.